thanks, figured it out a while ago and now everything's working as a charm.

one slight off topic question: I start at the virtual usb hub and iterate my
way down while searching for the device i'm looking for... with the result
that the whole /dev/bus/usb folder must be set to 775 + ownership for the
group that executes the java program... is there a better way to do this? if
i'm just looking for one single device?

thanks,