This is a 2+ year old thread, but I believe my response back then was
to use asyncSubmit instead of syncSubmit.

It may be a bug if abortAllSubmissions() doesn't wake up a pending
syncSubmit(), but I do not own this project anymore, Brian W does, he
is also on this mailing list so he may be able to provide more info.