See my answers below:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jeremiah Rogers
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 7:19 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: [JAWS-Users] Seeking Tips for Using JAWS with a Braille Display

Hello all. I've attained the use of a braille display for a couple weeks
as an evaluation toward a likely purchase of one. I want to be sure to
get the full experience of using a braille display before having to give
this on back, so hope that the braille display users among you can
provide me some guidance as to features that you do or don't use of your
braille display and screen reader combo. I've thrown some questions out
to guide your thoughts, but I'm surely not limited to these questions in
terms of the feedback I'd find helpful. Thanks in advance for your help,
and I look forward to reading your responses.

How do you use your braille display?
Answer: I use it whenever I use my computer and JAWS. As a Braille user, I
find it invaluable.  I could work in speech alone, but working without a
Braille display significantly reduces my productivity.

For what tasks would you not want to live without your braille display? For
what tasks is it less than desirable and why?
Answer: In writing a document, it is important to know where to put the
comma. With the place marker buttons on the PowerBraille 40, you can quickly
put the cursor exactly where you want the comma to be. Also, it is very
helpful in working with numbers and making sure your number is correct.
When I pay a bill online, it is one thing to listen to the number you have
typed; it is quite important to be able to put your fingers on the number
and make sure you have entered it correctly.

Do you primarily use it for proofreading, screen access, replacement for
speech, access to text only, or some combination  of these?
Answer: I use it in combination with Speech.

Do you use its ability to input text? If so, is that your primary, or
even your sole, means of interaction with your PC?
Answer: It is very helpful in entering text, because you can read back what
you wrote on the Braille line.

How much customization of the display's key commands do you do?
Answer: Very little.

Do you use your screen reader's ability to output in grade II? How
often?
Answer: Never. The primary reason for not using grade 2, is that the
document you output, and the one that sighted people will read, will not be
in Grade 2.

Do you browse the web using braille, and if so, do you read text with
braille and navigate with speech, use braille for both, or some other
combination?
Answer: Here again, I use both.

If you use braille to browse the web for text or navigation, do you
encounter situations where content on the web is difficult to access
using braille alone? If so, what problems do you encounter?
Answer: It would be difficult, but not impossible, to navigate the WEB
without using Braille and speech at the same time.

Answer: My final comment:
The more proficient you are with using Braille, the more useful you will
find a Braille display.

Visit the JAWS Users List home page at:
http://www.jaws-users.com
Address for the list archives: