From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf
Of Fernando Gregoire
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2017 5:46 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] creating shortcut for restarting jaws

Hi,

JAWS itself has a keyboard shortcut which creates a memory dump in case you
wish to send the error report to Freedom Scientific or contact Technical
Support, kills all JAWS-related processes and then relaunches it.
For cases in which this command doesn't work, I made a .cmd file that forces
killing of all JAWS processes and then run a certain specified JAWS version.
To do this, create a text file with the following content and save it with
extension .bat or .cmd:

taskkill /im jfw* /f
taskkill /im fs* /f
start /b JAWSnn
pause

In the Start command, nn is the JAWS version number as you would enter into the
Run dialog, for example 17 or 18.
You can save this file anywhere, then create a shortcut to this file in your
Desktop and assign it a hotkey in its properties.

This type of file lets you run a series of commands as if you enter each
command into a Command Prompt window and then press ENTER.
The /f parameter in the Taskkill command is the same as ending a process
directly from Task Manager's Processes (Windows 7 or earlier) or Details
(Windows 8 and newer) tab. If this parameter is not included, it is the same as
closing the program windows or using the End Task button, that is, send a
message for the program to close and wait to save data or any other operation
the program usually do when closed.
The * in names is to include multiple processes into a single command.
The Start command, with the /b parameter, allows to launch something by
specifying the string you would type in the Run (WINDOWS+R) dialog, in this
case the JAWS version of interest.
Finally, the Pause command, although not required, prevents the Command Prompt
window from being closed, displaying a “Press any key to continue”
message instead. This is useful to see the otput, for example, in case the file
is not working properly.

Hope it helps!