From: JAWS-Users-List <jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com> On Behalf Of
Fernando Gregoire
Sent: June 25, 2018 5:24 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Good ole' Eloquence

I always used and still use Eloquence for dayly screen reading.
Although other engines have more human-sounding voices, most do not change
intonation correctly when there are question or exclamation marks, or change
with random results. At least in Spanish, Eloquence is the only engine which
clearly change intonation in all of these cases if the text is well punctuated.
At least in Spanish, Eloquence only have two problems.
First, whetter you use Castilian or Latin American, the y letter is read the
same as i, which is not right when navigating by character. I solve this by
adding a JAWS dictionary rule, only for Eloquence and Spanish, that makes a
nonintrusive sound each time an y appears. It is important to choose a
nonintrusive sound, because the y in Spanish must be pronnounced the same as
“i” when in a phrase is like the English “and”.
The second and most important problem is that there's not a Spanish Eloquence
dialect that correctly read sillables with sh and, at the same time, distinct
sounds of c, s and z. While the Castilian Spanish differentiates these sounds
like in Spain but does not correctly read the sh sillables, Latin American is
the oposite. While the behabiour of Latin American Spanish matches the way in
which we treat these aspects in most Latin American countries (even when this
language setting is made thinking in Mexico), there should be a language
setting mixing these two advantages like other engines do.

Last, but not least, Eloquence does not become unstable when activating the
Caps During Say All option in JAWS, which allows to read a word in a louder
pitch when it contains capital letters during a Say All. This option can be
turned on also when using other engines like Vocalizer, but even the various
Vocalizer versions specifically aimed for Freedom Scientific products become
sluggish at changing pitch for specific words in long phrases.
What about question and exclamation marks intonation with speech engines in
English?

Libre
de virus. www.avast.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>