Hi Chris,
Thanks for all the advice. Well, the computer I am looking at has vista home basic. I have heard that there are like six different versions of vista, but don't know much about all that. So how is the premium version different? Would I be okay with just the home basic? Thanks to everyone else who has helped. I also talked to freedom scientific and the tech there said he uses vista, so I think I am just going to get the laptop I was looking at yesterdayl.
Sarah

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Hallsworth" <christopher...@googlemail.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 2:46 AM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Windows Vista and Jaws?

To be honest Sarah, Vista works fine with JAWS, even though personally I
find it sluggish on this laptop with 2GB RAM and 1.46GHZ dual core
processor. Now, folks, don't tell me that isn't adequate for Vista. I know
that, however I can't downgrade to XP due to lack of drivers, plus Windows
7, although I'm testing it, isn't recommended for the faint hearted as it's
still in testing phases. Anyway Sarah, back to your question. Vista Home
Premium, which is what I have, will work with JAWS 10.0.512 and higher. It
even works with JAWS 9, but with some stability issues that seemed to have
been resolved in JAWS 10. You should, at the very least, update Vista to
SP2, plus update JAWS to 10.0.1154, which can be done through the check for
updates feature. In terms of your tasks, Windows Mail is the e-mail client
for Vista. Internet Explorer 7 is the web browser built into Vista, although
you should upgrade to IE8. iTunes works fine under Vista, including the
latest (8.2) which now works with JAWS 10.0.1154. I think that's all for
now, so hope this helps.

--
Chris Hallsworth
e-mail: christopher...@googlemail.com