Hi

Exactly, unfortunately I don't have a minimal Debian VM at the moment.
I will look into creating my own VM when I've got the time, but in the
meantime I just use Vinux which are an Linux distro based on Debian and
aimed towards visually impaired.

There are already a pre-built VM of Vinux here:

http://vinux.org.uk/downloads/old/2.0/Virtual-Edition/Vinux-2.0-Virtual-Edit
ion.exe

This VM will boot up in X with GNOME and Orca will start talking.
I don't care about the GUI, so to be able to switch to the text console
using ctrl-alt-f1 I had to add the following to my VMware preferences file:

pref.hotkey.gui = "false"
pref.hotkey.shift = "true"
pref.hotkey.control = "true"
pref.hotkey.alt = "true"

C:\documents and settings\username\application data\vmware\preferences.ini

So now, once the Vinux VM boots up I press ctrl-alt-f1 to switch to the text
console, and alt-f1 - alt-f6 to switch between the virtual consoles.
Or just use alt-left/right arrows and alt-f7 if you of some reason need X...