Lenny,
I think JAWS works fine with both versions.
I think the question is more a matter of which Word version you want to
use.
Some of us have upgraded for various reasons, and learned the new ribbon
menus in Office 2007, and find it works very well with JAWS.
But if 2003 is working well for you, there may be no need to upgrade.
Blessings,
Tom