Stewart,

See my response below each of your issues:

----- Original Message ----- From: "stewart ross" <stewartr...@sky.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:59 AM
Subject: [JAWS-Users] re need help jaws 10 and ie8

hi all i did send a message to the list but don't think it got through.
i have just put ie8 and jaws 10 on my pc and i have a few problems.
firstly wen i start my pc jaws comes on, it tells me everything thats on the desk top without me pressing any keys.
Try opening Jaws options and setting verbosity to intermediate or advanced.
From your desktop: Insert f2 for the settings menu, then arrow down to Jaws
options.

also if i am exiting a programme, by doing alt f4, jaws is not saying this, and after doing this action, i have to do windows m to get to the desk top.
Not sure if you changed anything or not... When I exit with Jaws 10, it says alt-f4. Maybe you could look at your key label manager and make sure you didn't mute those keys.

the other problem i have is that wen i go to open ie8 it keeps saying new tab and something like ie is connecting and the last thing is that wen i am on the forms field, i keep getting these strange sounds also wen i go to press on the search button.

You can control whether IE8 opens in multiple tabs or not by going to internet settings; tab browsing settings; you can uncheck the box to open multiple tabs when browsing. You can also set it to just open your homepage. As for those strange sounds, my guess is you have autoforms mode turned on. You will get two quick beeps, the first being lower-pitched than the second when entering forms mode, and the opposite when leaving a form field.

hope someone can help with this.
many thanks
from stewart ross