Hi guys,

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Intel HD Graphics driver yesterday
and that did not fix the problem.  I uninstalled the NVIDIA driver
yesterday but was not able to find the necessary driver on Sony's
website to reinstall it.
One of the people I talked to at FS yesterday suggested that the
problem might be because of the integrated graphics--JAWS would not
know what version to "lock on" to.

Update...as I typed this and used control backspace, I did get some
speech feedback, but it did not always accurately reflect the word I
was deleting.  I had uninstalled IE 9 and am now using IE 8.  In AOL
Instant Messenger, though, I still get no audible feedback when
pressing control backspace.