Hello Ann;
You can turn off the protected view, if you wish.

You can do this by performing the following steps.

1, open Microsoft Word2010.

2, now, press alt+f=file,
And then up-arrow and enter on options.

3, now down-arrow until you hear;
Trust center.

4, now you need to tab until you hear,
Trust center settings.... press enter.

5, now down-arrow until you hear,
Protected view,
Using the tab-key,
There's a series of check boxes which you can uncheck; For example;

Trust Center
Trusted Publishers Protected View
Trusted Locations Protected View opens potentially dangerous files, without
any security prompts, in a restricted mode to help minimize harm to your
computer. By disabling Protected View you could be exposing your computer to
possible security threats.Trusted Documents Enable Protected View for files
originating from the Internet Add-ins Enable Protected View for files
located in potentially unsafe locations Enable Protected View for Outlook
attachmentsActiveX Settings Macro Settings Data Execution Prevention
Protected View Enable Data Execution Prevention mode Message Bar File Block
Settings Privacy Options OK Cancel

So you could probably uncheck the necessary boxes, And then tab to,
OKButton.
Hope this helps.