actually I would recommend you use either windows live mail, or the hidden
windows mail (which, both are very similar to outlook express in function)
the internal structure of windows 7 has been largely rebuilt, many things
that could have been put together have been, the start menu has changed its
shape and style, sort of like vista's but a bit more so, and works well.
the biggest things that folks notice when first starting up in w7 is when
they hit the windows key they end up in a "search" box, type in what your
looking for, or even the first few letters and you will get the first thing
windows thinks your looking for in the field your typing in, and a list
under it of other things that might be what your looking for.

this sounds like it would be awkward and slow, but it really does get quite
fast and it works fairly well once you find out or get told a few things
about "searching in w7".

the other thing is the empty desktop, this can and will work, and can be
left as is, or can be changed once you learn where a few things are located.

there is as well a free application that changes you back to the XP classic
menu, if you really want it (I gave/installed this on my wife's computer
since she was having a real problem with the new styled menus), where as I
have kept and adapted to the new system of w7

a few things have new names, a few applications are easier to use, a couple
(a very small amount) are a bit more difficult since they don't respond like
they used to, but over all win 7 is a good OS except for the lack of outlook
express showing on it (as I mentioned above windows mail is in there and
there is a set of easy re-work files to get it running again).

I have a first use tutorials and reference works file, and a windows 7
helpful hints downloadable zip file at my grab bag site for anyone who wants
to get them. I have been told they are very helpful to those starting up in
win 7.
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com

HTH,
inthane