From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of John M.
Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2013 1:22 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Programming in old BASIC

Hi Scott,
It just so happens that for the past several weeks, I have been working with
Liberty Basic. It is a full featured Basic compiler and it has been fully
Jaws accessible so far. I am Using Win 7 64-bit with Jaws 13. According to
the website, it will also work with Win 8.  I am using the demo version,
which means that I cannot produce a standalone .exe program and there are
also nag screens when you exit the program. The program has extensive help
and example programs. I have done extensive programming over the years in
370/Assembler, Cobol, Fortran, RPG, PL/1 and QuickBasic. Out of all of those
languages, my all-time favorites are Assembler, RPG and QuickBasic (Fortran
has many similarities to Basic).

I am writing a little daily reminder program for myself, because I have
never been completely satisfied with the many reminder programs which I have
tested over the years. The program is almost complete and I have really been
enjoying the process of learning Liberty Basic. I told my wife that writing
code again is very relaxing for me. Of course, if I was forced to do it for
40 hours a week, that would probably be a different story.

The link to Liberty Basic is:
http://www.libertybasic.com

The company also publishes a completely free Basic compiler called Just
Basic. I know that it has limitations over the full version of the product
and I have not tested it with Jaws, though I would assume that the
accessibility should be similar.

The link to Just Basic is:
http://www.justbasic.com

If you decide to get into Liberty Basic, contact me off-list and we can
chat.

Oh yes, the cost of Liberty Basic is $60. If you send them an email and tell
them where you heard about the product, they will send you a link to receive
a $10 discount.

Good luck,
John