From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of John M.
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2013 12:10 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] JAWS accessible system back up methods

If your data is important to you, you must maintain at least three copies of
your data on at least two different types of storage media and in at least
two separate locations.

For example,
Let's assume that your data files located on your computers internal hard
drive are one copy stored in one location.
Next, you purchase an external hard drive, backup your data (or your entire
computer) to the external drive and store the drive at a friend or family
members home. Now you have two copies stored in two separate locations.
Next, you setup a cloud storage account and store a copy of your data at the
cloud service. You will now have three copies of your data, stored in three
separate locations and on two separate types of storage media.

If your data is important, this scenario is the minimum starting point. For
my data, I use the above scenario, plus I alternate my data backups between
two external hard drives. I also copy the latest backup to two separate
flash drives and one of those flash drives is always with me.

You never trust your data to a single hard drive, no matter how new or old
it is. I have seen hard drives fail in one week and I have seen hard drives
run continuously for more than 10 years.

If the data on your failed drive is very important to you, email me off list
and I will put you in touch with a data recovery service with very
reasonable prices.

John