From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Jim Pursley
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:31 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] The Future of JAWS

First thoughts.  GW Micro seems to be in bed with Microsoft.  Given the
latter's reputation as a monopolist (think Netscape, etc.) I would be very
careful to align my working future solely with GW Micro and, by extension,
Microsoft products.  I am not unhappy, though, to see FS sweating a bit.
Consumers should win with this tie-up, I think.  Now, if Mozilla did a
screen reader I might be swayed.  Could FS move move to a Mozilla type model
that works on donations and collaboration?  The FS installed base is Freedom
Scientific's best asset.  If they don't pull a Microsoft, letting themselves
be passed by Google and Apple,. then the GW Micro/Microsoft deal could be a
boon to all.  Still..what was the motivation for Microsoft to apparently
single out one screen reader maker for partnering?  Surely too many
questions for me to take any action now, including switching to Apple
products.

On 1/15/2014 11:35 AM, David Whitehead wrote:
> good morning;
> has anyone read this?
>

>    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
>    Fort Wayne, Indiana (January 14, 2014) - GW Micro, Inc.
> (www.gwmicro.com<http://www.gwmicro.com>) is proud to make a
> revolutionary announcement. GW Micro and Microsoft Corp. have
> partnered to make Window-Eyes available to users of Microsoft Office
> at no cost. Window-Eyes is a screen reader that enables people who are
> blind, visually impaired, or print disabled to have full access to
> Windows PCs and makes the computer accessible via speech and/or Braille.
>
>    To better deliver Window-Eyes to the people who need it most, GW
> Micro and Microsoft have collaborated on this global initiative,
> available in over 15 languages, to enable anyone using Microsoft
> Office 2010 or later to also use Window-Eyes for free.  Access to
> technology is critical to people who are blind or visually impaired in
> order to have the same opportunity to compete in the workplace. As
> such, this initiative between GW Micro and Microsoft has the potential
> to reduce barriers for millions of people who are blind or visually
impaired around the world.

>    As the population ages, technologies like Window-Eyes will become
> more and more important as the number of people with age-related
> macular degeneration and other retinal degenerative diseases
> increases. "This significant change in the way we are doing business
> reflects the changing perception of accessibility and also technology
> in general.  Rather than wait for the world to change, Microsoft and
> GW Micro are leading the way," said Dan Weirich, Vice President of
> Sales and Marketing for GW Micro.  Weirich believes this technology
> can help millions of people gain access to their PC, and that
> providing it free of charge will open a whole new world of assistive
technology to many people.

>    In light of the rapidly changing face of technology and
> specifically, the changing face of assistive technology, the combined
> efforts of GW Micro and Microsoft have the goal of providing
> accessibility to people who are blind and visually impaired for the long
term.

>    Microsoft continues to take accessibility seriously.  "By
> partnering with GW Micro in this endeavour we are demonstrating
> Microsoft's on-going commitment to provide all of our customers with
> the technology and tools to help each person be productive in both
> their work and personal lives." said Rob Sinclair, Chief Accessibility
Officer for Microsoft.