I explored the dropdown grid under insert/mailings in Word 2010..nada. Then heartened after reading your recent note about your experience in Outlook 2007 I decided to check other dropdown grids. This time my spacebar efforts bore fruit and I did indeed see grids/lists - apparently a huge number of choices.

Tks for the inspiration, Mike.  This said,
On 3/18/2014 2:15 PM, Mike O'Brien wrote:
Hi

In Outlook 2010, when I hit an item in the ribbons that says drop  down, I
press space bar to open it and then use the arrow keys to explore its
choices.

-----Original Message-----
From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Jim Pursley
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 08:52
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: [JAWS-Users] Dropdown grids in Word 2010

I am finding the recent ribbon menu discussions helpful as I struggle to
transition from rank ribbon neophyte to journeyman.  I'm using win7, 64 bit.
When I land on a dropdown grid in an element on a lower ribbon I attempt to
use the arrow keys as instructed and nothing happens.  None of the other
navigational techniques I know work either - tab, etc.  I enabled the JAWS
ribbon menu for ease of access.  Any ideas how to unlock the dropdown grid's
secrets?

More generally..I see where not using the JAWS ribbon menu feature can be
advantageous to one who can first letter navigate.  Is the ribbon menu
feature just the equivalent of training wheels? This said, I use Word only
for drafts and won't likely need more than an occasional layout and print
color change. Bottom line, I don't like extensive tabbing or arrowing so
maybe going cold turkey to the pure ribbon view may work for me.  May I have
a quick intro to using ribbons without the virtual ribbon menu feature?