Now that OS's are gone or going 64-bit, I wonder what implications (if any) does that have for developing drivers for external speech synths? It would appear to mean that older synths won't work any more, even if you can find one in good order. I have a Dolphin Apollo II which works with JAWS on Windows XP, . serial port: but, even with an USB-to-serial adapter (with which it would - and does - work), it won't work with JAWS in Windows7 64-bit. It's old ...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shane Hecker" <shanehec...@gmail.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2014 1:32 AM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] what's a good external synthesizer?

I would say the Keynote Gold, but since they don't make that anymore, it won't do you any good. That is unless you can find a used one. I had one for many years but it gave up the ghost a few years back. It used a serial port. You say the Dectalk USB sits there, is it not talking at all? Or does it work intermittently? More details would be helpful.

Shane