Bill,
You probably already know that a MIDI file contains nothing more than instructions, like which note to play, how long it plays, and when it plays. These instructions must then be passed on to some sort of hardware device which responds to these MIDI instructions by outputting an audible response in what ever format you choose. Most computer sound cards have a very basic set of inbuilt sounds and while they sound pretty terrible, they'll do the job. You could load your MIDI track into Goldwave which I'm told is quite accessible and using your sound cards inbuilt wave map, output / mix / render the audio to mono stereo wave or even the dreaded mp3
HTH.
Glen Barwick

***