I, too, was not running Thunderbird 31.0 when your note came in yesterday. I am set to receive all updates automatically. Now it gets fuzzy. I looked through the help menu and eventually went to the Thunderbird tab of mozilla.com. Then I noticed that the program was slowly updating. I now have 31.0 in good working order after messing a bit with options settings. If you poke around the Help links you will find support and community. There are lots of helpful links there. You can of course go to Mozilla.com/thunderbird and download the new version. You can also check the latest version there, too.

I left my update setting on automatic, but I will check the latest build frequently to be sure I'm cool.