I am also looking at OCR options having been an Omnipage user for many years. The latest version of Omnipage, version 19 AKA Ultimage behave really badly with MS Word and Excel so I have rejected it. I have downloaded a trial version of Abbyy Fine Reader and so far it does a much better job than Omnipage, particularly scanning into MS Word and Excel and importing PDF files. After some traffic on this list, I also downloaded a copy of Text cloner but have had quite a few issues since I installed it. For instance trying to import a PDF document creates quite a strange error response, followed by "This action cannot be completed because the other action is running".
What other 'action' you might ask.
Keep in mind that Abbyy Fine Reader and even Omnipage work straight up, unlike Text Cloner which I will now delete. Text Cloner might be cheaper than Fine REader, but IMO that's where the advantage ends.
Glen

***