Arianna,

I also have Win7 and I'm running JAWS 16 and 17.

If I understand the problem correctly, you need to remove the application from
MSConfig, where all the applications appear that open when your system reboots.
I'll copy the instructions that have worked for me, but I'll add a caveat. The
first screen lists several options for restart. Be sure to keep focus on
"Normal startup," the top item, before going to the checklist. Otherwise, you
might reboot into a diagnostic mode where JAWS doesn't work. Here goes:

To run MSConfig:

1. Press windows key-r.

2. Type "msconfig.exe" (without the quotes) in the Search box. Press Enter.

3. Note: Here's where you press insert-numpad 8 to confirm that "Normal
startup" is selected.

4. Tab to the Startup tab. A list of all the startup programs displays with a
check box next to each one.

5. To prevent a program from starting up with Windows, select the check box
next to the desired program so there is NO check mark in the box.

6. Tab and click OK once you have made your choices.

7. A dialog box displays telling you that you may need to restart your computer
for the changes to take affect. Click Restart to restart your computer
immediately. If not ready to restart your computer, click Exit without restart.