you do realize the example I gave about CAD was for Kurzweil 1K, right?

-------- Original Message --------
From: Adrian Spratt [mailto:adr...@adrianspratt.com]
Sent: Monday, Aug 29, 2016 12:22 PM EST
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Subject: [JAWS-Users] JAWS Pronunciation

Mario,

Your "CAD" example shows another anomaly. On my system, it's pronounced
as "cad," as in a disreputable man, even though written in all caps. I
wonder why yours says "Canada."

The larger problem you raise is one that applies across the board,
regardless of capitalization. The JAWS default for "Dr" is "Drive,"
presumably because FS figured it would come up most often inn addresses.
I've changed the pronunciation to "doctor." Ditto "St" is set by FS by
default as "Street," but it could also mean "saint."

Then there's the "read" problem, with the present and past tense
pronounced differently but spelled the same. In this last example,
however, FS must have figured out an algorithm because most of the time
JAWS pronounces it correctly when used in the past tense and also when
used in the present tense.

These problems must have beset creators of speech engines in the early days.