Ken,

Instead of Crystal Reports to create the reports have you considered using
Excel?  I suspect that your users may be more comfortable with that.  There
are some tools available that make that easier to work with.  See Nebula
XLite - http://nebula-rnd.com/products/xlite.htm.

OBDC is certainly an option but an old technology that is somewhat slow
too.  There are other options such as mv.NET and you can get more
sophisticated with subroutines or jql queries that are called from the
front-end tool whether Excel, Crystal Reports or other tool.

This all depends on your audience and their skill set.

Dick