Hi Geeks

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rickard Öberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 11:01 AM
Subject: Re: [JBoss-dev] EJX and XML

> >So that will mark the end of its life in JBoss, it is free to come back
as
> >an add-on to JBOSS.
>
> It won't come back, not from me anyway, since the function it performs is
> done better (IMHO) by EJBDoclet or similar tools. Using a GUI is just not
> that interesting for most developers.
>
> /Rickard

I agree with you, man, but developers aren't the decision makers and not
the wast majority using an application server.
Therefore a GUI is a must also for deployment. No developer can finalize
how the EJBs, WARs, RARs and EARs are going to be deployed. They
can come up with a good guess (see CMP attribute mapping, security etc.).

It is my conclusion over the last years that developer can start to spread a
tool but the masses and/or decision makers will make the deal. Therefore
a GUI is convinience, eye catcher and the LABEL of an application (most
people don't by Windows because it is good but because it looks great).

BEA Weblogic (I can only speak for 5) has a poor GUI moslty only
showing values but with no administration.

IBM Websphere (I can only speak for 3) has a relatively good GUI with
administration but the way behind the time (Version 4 (now beta) will only
support EJB 1.1).

When we want compete as a commercial application server we have to
create a GUI.

Have fun - Andy