Julian Gosnell wrote:

> Jason,
>
> I have checked out a fresh jboss-all tree, built it successfully and
> tried running it.
>
> I'm getting a number of non-Jetty exceptions and ignoring them.
>
> On the Jetty side - a couple of questions.
>
> 1.
> It looks like you/someone have made Jetty into a 'plugin' - thanks. I
> was expecting this to be the .SAR archive that I keep seeing mentioned
> here and there.... but I've grepped all over the place and can't find
> any mention of them - what's the score here ?
>
> 2.
> The Jetty plugin deliverable does not appear to own a runtime
> distribution tree, as such. This is the cause of all the Exceptions
> generated by the default jetty.xml config file, and the reason that you
> had to empty it. Assuming that the Jetty plugin needs some sort of tree
> of resources available to it at runtime, has any thought been given to
> how this might be distributed, since it is not simply a matter of
> shipping jars about, but whole directory hierarchies.. I was hoping that
> I could put this hierarchy into a .SAR, which would be distributed,
> unpacked and then run. Jetty would be able to locate all the files it
> needed within a tree relative to the top of the unpacked .SAR.

setting JettyHome to a valid Jetty installation in jboss-service.xml solves
all Jetty related problems... e.g. :

  <mbean code="org.jboss.jetty.JettyService"
  name=":service=Jetty">
    <attribute name="JettyHome">/home/jules/java/Jetty-3.1.RC8</attribute>
    <attribute name="Configuration">../conf/default/jetty.xml</attribute>
    <attribute name="WebDefault">../conf/default/webdefault.xml</attribute>

    <attribute name="UnpackWars">true</attribute>
    <attribute name="PublishMBeans">true</attribute>
  </mbean>

So although whoever did the integration has managed to move over the
webdefault.xml file, we really need to consider what of the rest of Jetty's
config to throw away, and what to keep.

We could just strip everything out of the config file and check it in - but
I think we are going to find that there are many places where Jetty expects
configuration in the form of a filename., which we may like to continue to
use for the moment.

Ultimately these should be replaceable with a URL. Then we can either
distribute the necessary files in a .SAR and they will be found even if it
is run packed, because we can reference into the archive with a url, or
these files can be left on a single machine, and referenced by each node as
and when necessary.

However, initially, Jetty still expects files, which are best arranged in a
hierarchy and assosciated with Jetty.

Any thoughts....

Jules