On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Scott M Stark wrote:

> Jikes is not a Java program and you have to use a binary suitable for
> the target platform. I'm not interested in getting into supporting mutiple
> platform binaries.

Well, I guess now is as good a time as any to bring up a problem I have with
the current source tarball for 2.4.3.

The 2.4.3 tarball contains precompiled jars.  Some of these jars are
precompiled jboss jars(ick, but forgivable, see below(1)).  Some of these jars
are non-free, and should NOT be redistributed.

I understand the desire to provide a one-stop-shop for getting jboss to work.
But then there should be a pristince source package, that does not have all
this bundled code inside it.

What I am requesting is such a pristine source package.  Otherwise, I have to
go to great lengths when making a Debian(www.debian.org) package of this
software.  There is also the point that I can not upload this package to the
Debian archive, because it includes non-free code into its source package.  I
would greatly like to be able to upload this to Debian.

list of packages included with jboss, followed by their homepage, then license
type:

castor:         http://castor.exolab.org/
         (BSD-like)
hsql:           http://hsqldb.sf.net/
         (BSD)
jetty-server:   http://jetty.mortbay.org
         (artistic-like)
oswego:
http://g.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/intro.html
(public domain)
tyrex:          http://tyrex.exolab.org/
         (BSD-like)

activation:     http://java.sun.com/products/javabeans/glasgow/jaf.html
         (sun)
jaxp:           http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxp/
         (sun)
jcert:          http://java.sun.com/products/jsse/(or j2se/1.4)
         (sun/export restrictions)
jpl-util:       http://www.gjt.org/
         (unspecified)
mail:           http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/
         (sun)
ots-jts:        http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/
         (sun)

1:
    Additionally, the precompiled jboss jars that are in the source tarball
    get rebuilt during a build.  This means a diff generation sees them as
    changed, and dpkg-source complains.  Would it not be proper, to have
    proper compile ordering, and have each sub-package use what was just
    previously built?