On 2001.11.21 11:53:03 -0500 Rickard Öberg wrote:
> David Jencks wrote:
>
> > How would this help in the least? My understanding is that if you use a
> > directory, the dd is checked for time changes
>

> For the auto-deployer, yes. I think I'd actually prefer to not use the
> auto-deployer, and instead make an Ant task that does the deploy command
> explicitly. Then there's no need to watch dd's or anything.
>
> > and if it changes the whole
> > app is undeployed and redeployed.  Unless you can put your app in
> > independently deployable chunks, you will need to undeploy and redeploy
> the
> > entire application anyway.
>

> What I want to avoid is the copying and packaging that goes on. Do you
> have any idea of the time it takes to package 1500 JSP's into a JAR, and
> then have that 3-4Mb file copied and exploded into a tmp dir, and this
> for every time you make a change in a single JSP? Forever I can tell
> you. It adds up to *a lot* of time each day for just redeployment.

Ok, I'll believe you.

> > Why can't you use the Scoped Classloader, which puts several ears into
> the
> > same classloader and application?
>

> Could work, but I'd rather do something portable. Plus, it's non-trivial
> to break up our app (it's rather monolithic). Plus, several EAR's ->
> several web deployments -> several web contexts -> no session sharing ->
> no good.

You're talking about a non-portable development environment anyway aren't
you? Putting pieces of your 1500 jsps in different files might not be so
hard???

I really don't know, just talking.

> > Also if the problem is with jsps I thought I saw somewhere that you
> could
> > change the copied, deployed, unpacked jsp files while the app was
> running
> > and they would get picked up and recompiled.  Haven't tried this
> though.
>

> No good. So, I change a file, and get it to work. I then change a class
> and rebuild. Poof, my changed JSP file is gone.
>
> No, it needs to be clean, or there's just no point.

???????
Are you proposing to change a copy of the source for the jsp rather than
the source??

Cmon, you change your jsp in src, deployment of change consists of copying
changed file to temp deployment directory?? You rebuild from source, you
pick up the changes.  Only problem I see is automatically finding the
correct tmp deploy directory again after redeployment of the whole ear.

david