It looks like both my UserRealm and SimplePrincipal implementations need to be
Serializable.

This will most likely involve a rewrite of their current implementations.

Before I do this could someone confirm that this is the case and perhaps explain the
reasons behind this requirement, so that I don't put time in where it is not needed.

Thanks guys,

Jules