For the moment, I am not implementing the Security integration between Jetty and JBoss as Serializable.

I understand why you feel it should be a requirement for the future, and agree with you. Unfortunately, it is not simply a case of shipping a string since the same Principal object has to be useful within Jetty, which expects it to have behaviour based on state which is not so easily serializable.

Provided that the completion of the ClassLoader work will resolve the immediate issue of the testsuite failing here I shall put it on my todo list and tackle it next time I revisit the security integration.

If anyone feels there is good reason for this to be prioritised more highly, please let me know.

Jules

Anatoly Akkerman wrote:

IMHO, the JBossUserPrincipal has to be serializable. You can't always
assume that the bean invocations from the web tier will be local. Be that
for clustering or whatever. My current project is wide-area distribution
of j2ee apps, where we take an EAR configured to run on a single node and
'stretch' it accross a bunch of nodes, so we end up with having web tier
doing remote invocations on the beans. True, this is non-production
feature and quite inefficient at the moment but that is the whole purpose
of research, to make it better. So, stick to serializable, please.

Anatoly Akkerman
Computer Science Dept.
Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, NYU
715 Broadway, #719                      Tel: 212 998-3493
New York, NY 10003                      Fax: 212 995-4123