Von: Frederick N. Brier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 17. April 2002 09:26
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: [JBoss-dev] JBoss.net idea for Macromedia Flash support

Macromedia Flash 5 and Flash MX has XML support, but due to its limitations
cannot generate the exact HTTP headers, specifically SOAPAction, required
by SOAP.  Flash is installed in over 98% of the browsers and provides a
cross platform intelligent (Actionscript) client.  In a user group
presentation they alluded to a product that would be a Cold Fusion server
to Flash client architecture with XML providing the glue.  I think JBoss
can beat them there with a few small mods to JBoss.net.

The idea is to add a doPost() method to the JBoss.net AxisServiceServlet
class.  It would preprocess the HttpServletRequest headers using a
massaging class specified via XML generating a HashMap.  It would then wrap
the original HttpServletRequest and the HashMap in a class derived from
HttpServletRequestWrapper which overrides the getHeader methods.  The new
request object is passed to the parent's doPost() implementation -
AxisServlet.  Specifically for Flash, we could appear to move a SOAPAction
and Content-Type parameters to the HTTP Header.

I've already started writing this and would like to finish it and
contribute it.  I'm just not sure how to participate in the process, and
need some feedback on whether this is desired, acceptable, and if so, where
the massaging class should be specified.  One issue is that we are
violating the SOAP spec, but several products and work-a-rounds already
exist, mostly for ASP.  Specifying a massaging class allows us to support
other hamstrung clients.  We could also associate the massaging class with
a url-pattern either in install-axis.xml, another extension to the Axis
deployment descriptor in the application's web-service.xml file.

The changes and additions are fairly small and I could just post them to
the mailing list after I get some feedback and get it working.  I think
this is an important technology with which to interface.  With the addition
of Flash plug-in's encrypted sandbox, private keys can be stored on the
client side and used for authentication in implementing security.  Please
let me know what you think.

Frederick N. Brier
Sr. Software Engineer
Multideck Corporation