> The real issue with what you're asking is, though, that I
> don't know that there is a way to, within a Java runtime,
> break down memory usage at a fine-grained level to spot a
> memory hog.  One possible tack to take would be to make each
> classloader keep tabs on how many times it gets requests for
> object creation, but even that doesn't get you what's needed,
> because I'm not aware of a mechanism in place to actually
> chart how much memory is getting consumed by the classes
> instantiated out of that classloader.  As far as I see, the
> API does not support this.  The memory reporting methods are
> for the entire JVM, and breaking down that aggregate
> information by subsystem in the JVM would be tricky, if not
> downright impossible.

And yet you can run the JVM with a setting that reports that memory
consumption per class in memory at the end of the run.
It is the easiest way to find a leak.  You are saying that trace is not
available through an API? Even JDK1.4?

But to answer the previous question, seriously why don't you run various
VMs? One per client? Describe the hardware problem before you dive too
deep in useless code,

marcf