Tyrex has makes use of the OTS (jts corba stuff) and has a
TransactionPropogationContext (TPC) which wraps the OTS propogation
context.  The OTS has XA resources as well as Xids that are
externalizable.  So yes this is done by the tyrex plugin specifically.
It takes the TPC on an import and converts it to a Transaction.

As well on the reverse takes a Transaction and coverts it to a TPC which
can be serialized.

The JBoss implementaion allows the TPC to be added to any marshalled
invocation.  So the capability to do distributed transactions is already
in there    just not for the the default JBoss transaction manager.  It
actually uses a TransactionImpl as a TPC.

Just FYI the change to the storage location for the Transaction in the
MarshalledInvocation seems to work.  I am currently able to do
distributed transactions with the tyrex plugin under 3.0.1.  I have not
run the testsuite yet  but will  shortly.

Thanks
-=Brian