On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 16:38, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> Thanks Scott.
>
> I think the proxy code needs a good rewrite.  It seems to use a lot
> complicated code and array tricks because the writer decided not to use
> the collections APIs.
>
> If we can simplify this code, I think we should change our usage of
> java.util.Proxy over to our generator, as ours is easier in debugging
> because it names classes my.ParentClass$Proxy instead of $Proxy.

The problem was (is?) that BCEL uses arrays rather than collections in
it's API to generate the byte code so you end up doing lots of
Collection -> array -> Collection manipulation.

At the time there was no easy way to map java.lang.ref.Method et al to
the BCEL representations, so there's a bit of crap to get around that
stuff too.

Also BCELifier (which takes a .class file and produces a BCEL
implementation of a class that produces the same .class) wasn't
available either

However...BCEL has matured quite a lot since the first port I did back
in Feb. so the code definitely needs a review against improvements in
the BCEL APIs. I'll have a look today (dunno if my R/W is still active
tho')

Neale