Isn't double checked locking something like this:

private HashMap cache = new HashMap();

public MyObject get(String cacheLookup) {
MyObject foo = (MyObject)cache.get(cacheLooku);
if (foo == null) {
synchronized (cache) {
foo = cache.get(cacheLooku);
if (foo == null) {
foo = new MyObject();
cache.put(cacheLookup, foo);
}
}
}
return foo;
}

I read an article in JavaWorld a long time ago that said this is not required to work in a legitimate JVM, even though it does on all known implementations. Unfortunately, I don't remember the how's or why's of it.

However, this is not what the code below is all about. In fact, you can remove the synchronized block below and everything is still perfectly thread safe. The whole point is that the member variable "clients" is *NEVER* modified - only assigned to. In fact, it would drive the point home even more if you did this:

private Map clients = Collections.EMPTY_MAP;

public void someMethod()
{
HashMap localMap = null;
localMap = new HashMap(clients);
// ... read/write work on local map ...
clients = Collections.unmodifiableMap(localMap);
}

public void someOtherMethod()
{
HashMap localMap = clients;
// ... read-only work on local map ...
}

Here, clients is always immutable, even though someMethod is able to update it with a new value. No synchronization, yet perfectly thread safe (although very expensive to modify).

-Larry

David Jencks wrote:
I think you are wrong, although I have trouble understanding all the issues
with this.  I think this is a "double checked locking" idiom and I think it
is just as broken.

The guy who calls someOtherMethod will definitely see the correct hashmap,
but there is no guarantee that its state will match any particular state in
which it was put unless access to it is also synchronized.

Double checked locking is broken.

See Effective Java pp 193 ff and the various Double Checked Locking is
Broken websites.

As I understand it, problems with this construct are unlikely to appear
unless you are using something like a multiprocessor alpha box.

I think we should prove in some way that this construct is safe or remove
it.

david jencks