Just as a reminder: the uncontended case for a synchronized statement is VERY fast: about 13 PowerPC instructions. I would argue "safety first", use Java synchronization where possible, or advanced data structures from the concurrent package if not. If a piece of code turns out to be a scalability problem we can apply more brain power to find a better solution. In the end, the scalability problem will be somewhere unexpected anyway.

BTW, I am taking bets on the most contended calling sequence with ECPerf on Jboss 3.2 with CMP before I send out the stack trace...

Stefan