-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bill
Burke
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 10:32 AM
To: Jboss-Dev
Subject: [JBoss-dev] jboss remoting

Hey all,

I can see why David was so excited about the new JBoss Remoting
framework that Jeff Haynie and Tom Elrod wrote.  I had dinner with Jeff
in Boston last night and over a few beers he discussed in detail their
design and features the framework provides.  Jeff/Tom, please correct me
where I'm wrong here.

Some of the features I remember him discussing:

1. As RMI provides class downloading when the client does not have
classes available, so does the JBoss remoting framework.  The difference
is that JBoss remoting supports multiple protocols.  HTTP, SOAP, Socket
based, etc...

2. Callbacks are supported and abstracted seemlessly.  This will be
especially important to JMS.

3. Management services.  You can query to obtain a whole map of your
network.

4. Find any jboss remoted object by providing a URI or even a query
string.

My guess of what needs work:

1. We need to abstract how references are created and marshalled.  i.e.,
an EJB method that returns a reference to, or collection of other
different EJBs.  We need to make sure that these references point to the
correct transport layer as they were invoked on.

2. The class downloading protocol seems a bit inefficient.

The cool thing about this framework is that it is being used in
production at Jeff's company so we know this shit must work :)  All and
all this is really gonna be great for 4.0.  I'd really like to commend
Jeff and Tom on a job well done.  I'm looking forward to integrating AOP
with this new framework.

Bill

debugger
for complex code. Debugging C/C++ programs can leave you feeling lost
and
disoriented. TotalView can help you find your way. Available on major
UNIX