From: Rod Macpherson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 02 October 2003 19:03
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [JBoss-user] Pre compile jsps on jboss server

This is one of my pet peeves. It is true that you can precompile your
JSPs and configure them as servlets and that is a reasonable approach in
most circumstances. Having said that, if you have several hundred that
you are dynamically updating during development the preference is to use
JSPs as they were designed: update as-needed on a running server. The
servlet approach is a bit of a hack (IMHO) when the container is
perfectly capable of compiling the whole mess on its own with no
intervention on your part. Where a compiled JSP goes and what its called
is not part of the specification so it would be nice to have the
container do that for you.

Here's a link to an ANT script that precompiles for Tomcat. Haven't
tried it but at least it avoids the servlet approach and the script
looks very simple.

http://cvs.apache.org/~fhanik/precompile.html