Paul Kinnucan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think it's nice to have all the jde-xref variables to have defaults
> that allow a new user to try it out quickly without having to do any
> preliminary setup, which is now required with your latest
> change. Previously, the default for this variable was to cross-ref the
> universe by default. I'm suggesting that we change it to cross-ref the
> current package. Is this what the user is likely to want ultimately?
> No, but it's a good starting point.  The new user should quickly
> notice that the xrefing is limited and this should lead them to the
> doc to find out why.

Xref already requires the user to set up the
jde-xref-db-base-directory as well as the jde-built-class-path.  There
may be a way to automatically guess these things, but I couldn't see
how with the jde variables already there.  The base directory should
usually correspond to something in the sourcepath, but we don't know
which entry.  And the jde-built-class-path cannot be figured out from
the classpath, it's actually a subset of the classpath, but again we
don't know what subset.   So we need the user to fill out two things,
with my latest change, it's now three things.

I would rather force the user to fill out a reasonable value.  I think
not doing so will confuse users, and they may assume it doesn't work
right.    We could try to "guess" this one, but I think it would be an
error prone process.    I would like to minimize confusion and
potential bugs, that's why I like the user to fill this one out.

>  >
>  > Let me think about this one.  The thing is, the variable doesn't
>  > contain package names, it contains package prefixes.
>
> What's the difference?

Well, it's that package (in the sense that something like "com" or
"org" is a package), and all children of that package.  To be
specific, it's just whatever packages match that any of the prefixes
in this variable, so the prefix "co" would match "com.foo.bar".

>  > But the name is a bit confusing, I agree.
>
> I think this variable, whatever its name, should allow the
> user to specify the packages that the user wants to xref, including
> specifying that all subpackages of a package be xrefed, e.g., if
> I have a package structure like this:
>
> pkgA
>   pkgAa
>   pkgAb
>
> I should be able to specify pkgA and have everything in pkgA, including
> pkgAa and pkgAb, xrefed. On the other hand, if I specified pkgA.pkgAb,
> I'd expect only pkgAb to be xrefed.

This is the way it works now.