OK, so Klaus's guess _appears_ to be backwards.

To recap:  I had gotten rid of the problem by setting both

  ecb-prescan-directories-for-emptyness nil
  ecb-vc-enable-support nil

Klaus said he suspected prescan, so I turned vc-support back on --
hang comes back!

So I turned it off again, and enabled the emptyness scan -- no hang.

So my current belief is that it's the vc support that's the problem,
not the emptyness check.  Which is slightly more plausible if only
because vc support is new and emptyness is not, right?

ht
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]