On 22 Mar 2005, at 19:25, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 07:16:50PM -0500, Julian Missig wrote:

Why "_xmpp-client" if you're advertising an XMPP Server?

Oh nevermind. I see that stpeter registered xmpp-client and xmpp- server, intending that xmpp-client be the service that XMPP Clients connect *to* while xmpp-server be the server-to-server connection. Kind of odd, but it's what's registered... so nevermind.

Hmm, I see where you're going -- we might want to have a service that would enable clients to connect to each other (a la iChat's Rendezvous mode or whatever they're going to call it after the Tibco dispute)...

Well, even without that, the service name is supposed to be the service you're advertising. The XMPP server is advertising an XMPP connection to which a client can connect, which from a server's point of view might be "xmpp-client", yes, but from a client's point of view, it seems an odd thing to be looking for a "client" service when you want to connect to an XMPP Server.

Pedantry, I admit, but it had me confused for a few minutes.

For an official form of something like iChat Rendezvous, we'd need to define what exactly an XMPP client<->client protocol should look like, which pieces of XMPP are disallowed, and when TCP connections should actually take place. All things which I was interested in doing back when it looked like something I'd be adding to Gabber one day, but which unfortunately I don't think I'll be implementing in anything anytime soon...

Julian