Interesting. How hard is it to find Erlang programmers? Particularly one who knows enough to write a couple ejabberd components?

-- John

Sander Devrieze wrote:
Op dinsdag 12 september 2006 18:22, schreef John Almberg:
<snip>

 As far as requirements for the server are concerned, what I'm mainly
concerned about is stability and scalability, as this application must
potentially support lots of simultaneous users. The actual number will
depend on the market, so we need to be able to start small and grow
arbitrarily large. I'm a bit worried about that requirement, to be honest.

You might want to take a look at ejabberd:
http://www.process-one.net/en/projects/ejabberd/docs/features.pdf

ejabberd is written in Erlang, as this unknown language might scare your
manager, I've here a list of useful Erlang-related links:
* A very recent deployment at the metro of Lyon, France (quote: "The customer
was /very/ surprised with this new software that 'never crashed once'.":
http://forum.trapexit.org/viewtopic.php?t=6229
* From the same poster, how he convinced his boss:
http://forum.trapexit.org/viewtopic.php?t=6253

* Why Erlang Is a Great Language for Concurrent Programming:
http://yarivsblog.com/articles/2006/08/16/why-erlang-is-a-great-language-for-concurrent-programming
* Next article explains the future importancy of concurrency in software:
http://www.gotw.ca/publications/concurrency-ddj.htm
* "A functional program is ready for concurrency without any further
modifications." (Erlang is a functional language):
http://www.defmacro.org/ramblings/fp.html
* Erlang Style Concurrency:
http://www.defmacro.org/ramblings/concurrency.html
* Erlang Hot Code Swapping -> Hacking Nirvana:
http://yarivsblog.com/articles/2006/06/22/erlang-hot-code-swapping-hacking-nirvana
* The must-read Phd thesis of Joe Amstrong:
http://www.sics.se/~joe/thesis/armstrong_thesis_2003.pdf
* Ericsson's Biggest PR Blunder: Forgetting to Tell Us That Erlang Programming
Is FUN:
http://yarivsblog.com/articles/2006/08/24/ericssons-biggest-pr-blunder-forgetting-to-tell-us-that-erlang-programming-is-fun

This blog entry also might interest you if you would consider to deploy a
large ejabberd installation with less memory:
http://www.planeta.toliman.pl/?p=101

--

Marketing for Online Collectible Dealers

Identry, LLC
249 Lenox Road
Huntington Station, NY 11746

Phone: 631.546.5079
Fax: 631.980.4262
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: www.identry.com
Members: ASDA, APS, ANA, PSA

begin:vcard
fn:John Almberg
n:Almberg;John
org:Identry, LLC
adr:;;249 Lenox Road;Huntington Station;NY;11746;USA
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Managing Partner
tel;work:631.546.5079
tel;fax:631.980.4262