John,

Unfortunately, the book is probably quite out of date. Another very popular option to check out is Wildfire (http://www.jivesoftware.org/wildfire). It's 100% Java and has a full plugin architecture. You can also write custom functionality using external components, but most people find plugins to be a far easier method for doing customizations. Since it's written in Java, it's very easy to find developers that can understand and extend the code. There's also a network of companies that provide customization services for Wildfire (including Jive Software of course) :)

Regards,
Matt

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John Almberg
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:22 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Jabber software development list
Subject: Re: [jdev] Jabber architecture

Thanks. I'm project managing the design and development of a commercial application, that will use Jabber as a base. I'm trying to work up a an rough estimate of the development costs for the financial guys.

I've read through the first half of "Programming Jabber" and suspect that other implementations of the Jabber server must be somewhat similar in architecture? For example, allowing components to connect to the backbone using library load, TCP, and STDIO connections.

I think most of the application can be handled by the standard Jabber components, with most of the specialized functionality in the client. However, I will need to plug in several custom server components.

I'm basically working at the block-diagram level at this point... just trying to scope out the project.

As far as requirements for the server are concerned, what I'm mainly concerned about is stability and scalability, as this application must potentially support lots of simultaneous users. The actual number will depend on the market, so we need to be able to start small and grow arbitrarily large. I'm a bit worried about that requirement, to be honest.

Anyway, any thoughts much appreciated.

Brgds: John

Hal Rottenberg wrote:
On 9/11/06, Matthias Wimmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have the O'Reilly "Programming Jabber" book. It's from 2002 and I'm

This book describes the architecture of jabberd14

Also note there are a dozen other jabber servers now.  The landscape
is much different than it used to be.  Are you trying to learn in
general, or do you have some specific aims?  We might be able to help
direct your focus.

--

Marketing for Online Collectible Dealers

Identry, LLC
249 Lenox Road
Huntington Station, NY 11746

Phone: 631.546.5079