Hi Nick,

Although I don't think an open letter would do much harm, I'm not sure it would do much good, frankly. Although I agree with you that lock-in strategies are diminishing in their importance in software given the net, in my experience it is *very* hard to convince commercial orgs...who are fighting with one another for these audiences...for different reasons...to change these ways. IMHO, for many it's built into their way of thinking about business (unfortunately).

But I don't wish to be discouraging (even if that's the effect). Perhaps an open letter would be a reasonable idea...especially if it came from a non-commercial entity. I would support it.

Scott

P.S.  correction:

Also, such an approach minimizes the effort in creating multiprotocol clients...not that it doesn't eliminate it, but it does reduce it to a more manageable level for client developers.

should be:

Also, such an approach minimizes the effort in creating multiprotocol clients...not that it eliminates the effort, but it does reduce it to a more manageable level for client developers.

Nick Vidal wrote:
How can Facebook (and others) win by adopting XMPP to its full potential?

If we can answer this question and write an open letter to Facebook, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Twitter, etc, successfully making them realize that this is the way to go, inviting them to have access to these valuable resources created by the XSF, then we all win. Are lock-in strategies still benefitial for them in this new scenario? I don't believe so, and I believe we can convince them of that. So how about writting an open letter to these influential companies? Who thinks this is a good idea?