I've pushed this in
https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/tree/breadcrumb

Most of the list view links now support navigation menus (it's just a matter of adding class='model-link' to the <a> tag), so you can get the sense of how this behaves.

You need to hover the mouse on <a> tags and wait for a bit before the menu shows up. I added this delay intentionally --- without it, it's way too easy for unintended menus to open as you move the mouse from one part of the page to another.

I think I like it, but as always, feedback welcome.

I'm expanding the ui-samples plugin to describe how it works and how to take advantages of this from plugins.