That's a normal log entry - I can also see it in successful releases. (I guess it's related to the 'generateReleasePomsoption of the release plugin)

I would definitely pursue the path with the non-english locale, because it's exactly the same sympton as I got, when trying to release in a German locale.
Run  git status locally and see, if the output is english or not. If it isn't, this is most likely your problem.

Gesendet: Freitag, 09. August 2013 um 16:58 Uhr
Von: "Olivier Dagenais" <olivier.dagen...@gmail.com>
An: jenkinsci-dev@googlegroups.com
Betreff: Re: Releasing plugin problem
Your log contains:

[INFO] Not generating release POMs

...and that is confirmed with no "preparing release" commit in GitHub and also the shared-workspace-1.0.1 tag still shows a POM that's not indicative of a release.  It also makes sense that Kannan noticed only a SNAPSHOT version was uploaded.

I don't know why Maven would say it's not generating the release POM, but that would be a good place to start investigating.

HTH,
- Oli