I think most people are keen to curb the proliferation of advanced settings in the Git plugin which are only used by a minority of people.

Also, as far as I can remember, it was Kohsuke who pointed me towards GitSCMExtension at JUC Berlin and suggested that this doesn't need to be in the main Git plugin :)