Yes, I think everyone agrees that the config pages are a UX nightmare. We
looked at changing how they are rendered by introducing <div> sections that
are then collapsible. It was somewhat of a success but what frightened me
off taking it further was the fact that it was inevitably going to break
plugins. Since it was early days in my efforts to make improvements to the
UI, I didn't want to start by breaking shit all over the place and in so
doing, turn everyone off the idea of me (and others) attempting to "fix"
the ui.

So on that note I would ask the Jenkins community how they would feel about
making changes to how the config pages work where those changes could cause
plugins to break, requiring them to be fixed in order to work again? I
think there would need to be some level of community agreement on that
before we'd attempt to do it.

@Uli ... it should be easy enough to render a set of tabs the same as the
tabs on the standard Jenkins Home page since they're just a set of <div>s
that are styled using CSS (pure CSS i.e. no javascript involved at all). If
you inspect the source there you should be able to see what's required and
easily replicate it for your plugin.

@Uli as for UI Themes, I'd be of the opinion that they're not just about
making the UI nice. They can also be used in terms of providing
accessibility features to Jenkins e.g. allowing visually impaired people to
have a personalised/custom UI experience (bigger text... different colors
etc) than other people using the same Jenkins instance. Aside from that, I
think everyone has different ideas about what that "one good looking theme"
would be, which is the problem and which is what makes themes more
attractive for me.