(replies inline)

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015, kmbulebu wrote:

> I'd like to introduce a new plugin for hosting on jenkins-ci.org, the
> docker ephemeral cloud plugin.
>
> Github Home: https://github.com/kmbulebu/docker-ephemeral-cloud
> Github and Jenkins username: kmbulebu
> Name: docker-ephemeral-cloud-plugin

> The Docker Ephemeral Cloud plugin provides an elastic pool of slaves, using
> Docker containers, that live only as long as the job. When a job is
> scheduled, Jenkins checks for Docker image configurations that match the
> labels of the job. When one is found, Docker is invoked via REST APIs to
> pull the image and run the container. Within the container, the Jenkins
> JNLP slave jar is downloaded and run. Communication is established to the
> Jenkins master and the new slave node performs the requested job. When
> complete, the container is stopped and removed.
>
> The key differentiators here are that this plugin enables stateless slaves
> on containers, without the need for any port mappings, SSH servers, docker
> clients, or existing slaves. The focus is on stateless jobs and builds and
> not continuous deployment via containers.
>
> More on how this plugin differs from similar Docker
> plugins:
> https://github.com/kmbulebu/docker-ephemeral-cloud#comparative-to-other-docker-plugins

The differences between this plugin and the Docker plugin don't seem very
major to me, is there an objection you would have to merging this with the
Docker plugin? That plugin already has many thousands of installations and the
TLS support in particular I think would be useful as well.

Have you also seen the Docker build step plugin, I believe that might overlap
with your work as well, and already has a few thousand installations.

There's some really good work here and by merging efforts with the existing
Jenkins/Docker plugins I think we can improve the usage for many existing users
and help attract new ones.

Let me know what you think, if you're open to it I'm happy to help where I can.

If you're not keen on merging, then I suppose I'll make a frowney face and
setup the hosting, etc.

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy