> To be honest, the whole list of jenkins docker plugins feels like a zoo
> and there is no way a normal user can keep up and make the right choice.
> I think this work should be coordinated better and an uptodate comparison
> should be kept at a central place.
> ..my 2cents
> /Domi

I think some duplication occurs accidentally (e.g: closed-source plugin
becomes open), some that is scope-creep (we started here and wanted this
feature too - I didn't know plugin <other> already also did that), and some
that is 'I just want to play with a different library / technique /
sandpit'.

​Other duplication though is for less healthy reasons. Needing to do TLS
and JNLP rose to the top of my stack last week, and I was pleasantly
surprised that most of the initial work had already been done for the
latter. I was rather less pleasantly surprised that - though there were
bugs and someone had submitted a PR
<https://github.com/jenkinsci/docker-plugin/pull/293> that effectively made
the feature work (​maybe not in all eventualities, but sufficient for many
cases) over 2 months ago, but had effectively been told to 'go away'. To
me, that's not the right approach for a whole host of reasons - the
pertinent one being that it drives a 'not invented here' culture that leads
to duplication because dealing with the gatekeeper becomes too painful.

It could well be that some plugins could be folded together.