After reviewing the issue more, it seems like the plugin maintainer used to
run the dist-server-standalone install build step manually, to install the
selenium-server-standalone jar to the jenkins maven repository, but I
cannot do this as I am not authorized, nor do I think this is the correct
way to do this. I think this because I see no way for this build step to be
ran when building the plugin.

See:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.7:deploy-file (default) on
project selenium-server-standalone: Failed to deploy artifacts: Could not
transfer artifact
org.seleniumhq.selenium:selenium-server-standalone:jar:2.53.0 from/to
maven.jenkins-ci.org (
http://maven.jenkins-ci.org:8081/content/repositories/releases).

I also now know that the selenium-server artifact cannot be used as a
selenium grid, so the selenium-server-standalone artifact must be
downloaded somewhow for this plugin to work. I think a better way would
possibly be to use a backend-crawler script like how the chromedriver
executable is downloaded but I do not have the neccesary experience to
implement this in the current plugin.